(305) 509-6400 Miami, FL (703) 260-6565 Washington, DC

Which Visa, L-1 or EB-1c, is Right for You?

If you are a manager, executive, or employee with specialized knowledge, your employer may want to send you to their U.S. offices. You must obtain a particular type of visa from the U.S. government that will allow to work and live in the U.S. The type of visa you request will depend on many variables, including you and your company’s intentions and the circumstances of your case. You will most likely be applying for either an L-1 or EB-1c visa if you are the type of employee described above. These two visas share many similarities as well as differences, so it can often be difficult to determine which is right for you. The attorneys at the AmLaw Group are experienced in the process of applying for a visa. We are devoted to helping clients determine which visa is correct for them, walking them through the application process, and doing all we can to increase the chances of a granted visa.

Similarities and Differences in L-1 and EB-1c Visas

If your company is planning on sending you to work at a U.S. office, it is important that you start considering which visa to apply for. The key similarities between L-1 and EB-1c visas include the following:

  • Both visas enable overseas companies to send key employees or personnel to work in the company’s U.S. offices
  • Both visas apply to employees in executive or managerial positions or employees that possess a special knowledge of the operation or function of the company
  • In applying for either visa, your employer must prove there is a relationship with the U.S. counterpart, whether they are a parent company, branch of the company, subsidiary, or affiliate of the company.
  • In applying for either visa, the company must prove that any offices involved are at the same operation standard as the other.
  • Labor certification is not required for either visa.

They key difference between these two visas include the following:

L-1 Visa

  • Non-immigrant permit
  • Allows holders to reside and work for their employer in the U.S. as long as the permit is valid

EB-1c Visa

  • Permanent residence permit
  • Allows holders to reside and work in the U.S. as permanent residents
  • Acts as a green card

Which visa you apply for may depend on your company’s purpose for sending you to the United States. Your company will play a big role in determining the visa you initially apply for. Fortunately, the transition between these two visas, specifically from an L-1 to an EB-1c, is relatively simple and has a relatively high chance of approval. If your employer decides that they would like you to stay and work in the U.S. permanently after you’ve already received an L-1 visa, it is possible for you to be granted an EB-1c visa.

Contact Us

If your company is sending you to work in the U.S., call the qualified visa attorneys of the AmLaw Group. We will use our training and experience to help you determine which visa is right for you. We will also walk you through the visa application process, ensuring that you have all of the correct information and documentation you need to be considered for approval. If you are currently working in the U.S. with an L-1 visa and are looking to transition to an EB-1c visa, contact us. We can work with you and your company to make the process of quick and effortless as possible. To learn more about our team and service, you can reach our office at (305) 509-6400 today.

Get in touch with the AmLaw Group

Contact Us

Hallandale Beach, FL

AmLaw Group
1920 East Hallandale Beach Boulevard, Suite 501, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009

Get Directions +1 (305) 509-6400

Washington, DC

AmLaw Group
3975 University Dr #340, Fairfax, VA 22030

Get Directions +1 (703) 260-6565

Sitemap|Privacy Policy

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.