O-1 Visa for Individuals with Extraordinary Abilities or Achievements
The O-1 non-resident visa is a perfect solution for individuals who have outstanding achievements or possess extraordinary abilities in a variety of areas, including sciences, business, education, arts or sports. The O-1 visa is widely regarded as a nonimmigrant equivalent of the EB-1a visa. It allows a foreign national, who has a demonstrated record of sustained national or international acclaim and intends to continue working in that field after arriving to the USA, to temporarily come to the USA based on their achievements. The O-1 visa also allows the holder’s spouse and children under the age of 21 to receive an O-3 nonimmigrant visa, granting them the right to live and study in the United States. Petitions for this visa may only be filed by an employer or an agent based in the USA, but the vague nature of requirements and numerous nuances in the application process dictate that it is highly advisable to seek help from an experienced immigration attorney when submitting an application.
Benefits of the O-1 Visa
- No annual limit on the number of visas issued
- Quick approval process
- Unlimited extension is possible (in 1-year increments)
- Can freely travel in and out of the country for the whole duration
- The possibility to apply for an EB-1A immigrant visa (and a Green Card) in the future
- No requirements regarding the candidate’s education
- Applies to more professional areas than the H category visas
Extraordinary Abilities Criteria & General Requirements
Generally, a single major international award like an Olympic medal, Pulitzer Prize, an Oscar or a Nobel prize is enough to prove candidate’s exceptional skills. Fortunately, it is not necessary to be in possession of such a rare honor. In order to qualify for the O-1 visa, applicants must be able to provide sufficient evidence indicating that they (must satisfy at least three of the following):
- Have received national or international awards or prizes of excellence in their field
- Had their work published in professional or high-profile trade publications or mainstream media
- Had their articles published in notable specialized or professional journals
- Are a member of exclusive associations which require outstanding achievements to join
- Participated on a panel, or individually, as a judge of others’ work in the same field
- Made original scientific, academic or business contributions of major significance
- Had a major commercial success in arts
- Consistently receive salary (remunerations) considered high in comparison with others
- Have been employed in a critical/essential role in well-known organizations
- Have any other comparable evidence of petitioner’s outstanding abilities & achievements
Give your career a boost with a trusted expert by your side!
Even though the requirements seem quite strict, an experienced attorney’s help is a guarantee that your petition has the best chances possible to be successful. Here at AmLaw Group, we understand the challenges people interested in immigration to the USA face, and we always do our best to make the immigration process as simple and transparent as possible. Based in Miami, FL our experienced and highly professional russian immigration attorneys always strive to provide the best possible service, and results for our clients. Reach us today at (305) 509-6400 or leave your contact info below to find out if the O-1 visa is the right choice for you. Don’t postpone your new and wildly successful life in the United States of America!